Tuesday, April 08, 2008

A HomeSchool Family.....

Clint and I have decided to home school next year....
Please pick your jaw up off of the floor while I explain!
We have had Gabe in private school this last year, and we have really felt blessed. We pulled him from the public school, b/c they really weren't doing a very good job, and with the help of my parents he has attended private for fist grade. Unfortunately with the price of tuition going up, as well as the price of gas for the 20 mile drive to and from the school, we have made a decision to have school at home, and I get to play teacher! :)
While we were in the process of making this decision, I defiantly had some anxiety over it, but once we prayed together and made this choice, God gave me a real sense of peace. I don't take my children's education lightly, and I really don't want to screw it up! But we have found some great resources and are in the process of enrolling the kids in IDEA (Idaho Distance Education Academy). They will give us an allotment per child that will pay for curriculum, as well as "give" us a computer and pay for our internet. Because it is ran through the state, we can't purchase any "faith based" curriculum, but I figure we can always pay out of pocket for that.
At first the thought of educating the kids myself seemed very overwhelming and scary. It's really not in my nature to do this sort of thing. I don't pride myself in being a #1 mom, with the patience of a saint. To be honest there are days where my children flat our irritate me. But I know when I ask, God can give me just enough grace and patience for each day.
Thankfully I have some great people in my life that are currently homeschooling, or have years of experience in it. They have all been very encouraging and helpful. As I am sure you all know, there are many stereotypes that go along with the whole home school thing. One of my closest and dearest friends (said with oozing sarcasm) sent me this little video to encourage and enlighten me on the new adventure we are about to embark on!

We can't wait to become a home school family! :)

Follow the link and watch the homeschool family video!

4 comments:

Brent & Tricia Croom said...

Jenna,

Congratulations! I have no doubt that you will be a fantastic homeschooler.

When you guys come up for a visit give me a buzz and we can check out the homeschool used curriculum stores.

Jenni said...

That is great Jenna, I'm sure you will do awesome. I think sometimes we don't give ourselves enough credit :)And then sometimes when faced, or pushed into the challenge we find the strength to accomplish what we never believed we could. God bless you! Can't wait to hear all the things you learn along the way, I'm right behind you, getting ready to start homeschooling Aidan probably next spring. Blessings!

Shane and Shannon Smith said...

Whoo Hoo! I thought your blog was just gonna be a yearly thing. Gabe is 6...Gabe is 7... Just kidding.
I think your decision is great. Jump in with both feet, the water is fine. And can be SO adventurous. We are about to embark on an amphibian/reptile unit study. My kids love these creatures and come home with several everyday. They give me the Heebie Jebbies! But, my children love them, so we will learn about them.
I look forward to your homeschool adventures! You'll be great.

Anonymous said...

Great idea. We have been kicking around the idea of homeschooling at least one of our kids (possibly Mindie, maybe Abbie as well, Cassied likes school, though I am very frustrated with the administration right now). Good for you guys. God bless.